I’ve had a half dozen air pressure gauges over the years. It seems like it’s tough to find one that will give accurate / consistent results. I’d say it was just over a year ago (writing this in 2018) I bought another digital gauge hoping I found a solution to my problem.
Dang! – I couldn’t be happier! I found what I think is the BEST AIR PRESSURE GAUGE for MOUNTAIN BIKES!
In fact I was so happy I bought another one so I’ll have it in the garage. So what’s this thing called? The TOPEAK D2 Smartgauge (Link to Amazon hundreds of reviews) this air pressure gauge has been amazing. I’ve repeatedly compared it to the gauge on my hand pump and the numbers are aligned within a half pound. At this point I’m not sure which gauge is off.
So What do I Like about the Topeak D2
- With the flick of a small lever you can check both PRESTA and SCHRADER valves.
- The head of the unit rotates, so you can squeeze the unit between spokes.
- You can “release” air with the unit on the valve. This allows you to bleed air down to the perfect pressure.
- Switch between three different scales. (PSI, Bar and kg/cm2) I keep mine on PSI.
- Max air pressure is 250 PSI. Funny I average about 20 PSI in my tires. 🙂
- It’s pretty light weighing in at 2.3 oz or about 65 grams.
- This thing excels at checking air presure inshocks and forks.
- If needed you can buy a service kit – here’s the link to Topeak – PARTS KIT for SmartGauge
Like I said earlier – I really like this gauge, enough to buy a second. I Highly Recommend the TOPEAK D2 SMARTGAUGE. (link to check the prices)