Bike lights serve two purposes for mountain bikers. The first is to improve their visibility at night, and the other is to alert other people of their presence. Needless to say, a bike light with GoPro mount is a necessity for bikers.
The Suptig High Power Diving Light with GoPro mount is a perfect light for mountain biking. The waterproof case is durable, GoPro compatible mounts on the top and bottom work with most action cameras. With 500 lumens, 36 LED lights and up to 4 hours of battery you can safely enjoy MTB rides at night.
Why I like the Suptig for MTB
- Designed for diving with rugged case
- Mounts easily onto GoPro clip
- 1 1/2 hour battery on HI setting
- Wide angle with 500 Lumen brightness
These lights are waterproof and stand up to MTB abuse. Check prices and reviews on Amazon with this Shortcut Button
Bike lights are an essential mountain biking accessory for bikers who like to stay on the trail at night. It keeps them safe from any danger by giving them better sight on the trail ahead of them.
Some also use a bike light along with their GoPro camera to take clear footage of their adventure.
So, a good bike light should also have a GoPro mount so you can illuminate your videos while you are taking them at night.
If you consider getting a bike light with GoPro mount, you need to check the Suptig High Power Dimmable Diving Light.
The Suptig High Power Light is basically for underwater activities like freediving. However, it is a versatile product that works excellently as a bike light.
Out of the box, this bike light comes with:
- a USB A to Micro B charging cable
- GoPro buckle mount
- a quick release bolt tightening tool
- one rechargeable battery
The Suptig High Power Light comes with three LED lights. There are also three light modes:
- Normal – for a high level of brightness. The bike light’s battery lasts for about one and a half hours in normal mode.
- Low – consumes less battery life, allowing the battery to extend for up to four hours.
- Flash – this light setting can serve as a call for help to your fellow bikers during unforeseen circumstances. It lets your bike light run continuously for approximately six hours.
Mountain biking is not complete without taking videos of your adventure. However, taking footage at night may seem impossible since it is so dark.
Fortunately, the Suptig High Power Light can serve as a bike light with GoPro mount. The mount is compatible with:
- GoPro Hero 3+, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- GoPro Hero Session and Hero+
- GoPro Fusion
- GoPro Max
With this bike light, you will be able to capture high-quality videos regardless of the weather. The Suptig High Power Light is waterproof, so it will work perfectly even when it rains.
The Suptig High Power Light comes with a 1050mAh lithium-ion battery pack. If a four-hour low light setting is not enough for your ride, you can purchase an extra battery for replacement.
It is pretty easy to find an extra battery for this bike light as it has the same battery pack as the GoPro Hero 3 and 3+. (source)
DIY MTB Pro Tip: Mounting a GoPro can be challenging. Check out this article on the different ways to MTB with a GoPro -> How to Mount a GoPro for Mountain Biking
A bike light with GoPro mount is a necessary accessory for mountain bikers. However, it would be best to consider how dim or bright you want your bike light to be.
Bike lights that are too bright may distract other mountain bikers as too much brightness can cause glare. On the other hand, a light that is too dim may not be able to provide you with the luminance that you need, especially when it is too dark.
That said, you need a bike light with adjustable brightness. This feature will allow you to get the proper luminance under a given circumstance.
Moreover, the amount of light you need depends on the environment you are riding. If you are biking in an environment that is not too dark, 100 to 200 lumens of light is enough for your bike light.
On the other hand, biking in areas with complete darkness requires 500 to 1500 lumens of light. This brightness will allow you to see the path that you are taking. It will also alert your fellow biker about your presence.
Brightness is also essential when taking videos at night. If your bike light is too dim or bright, your footage can be unclear since the light will affect the GoPro’s lens. (source)
Apart from the brightness of your bike light, it would be best if you also considered the beam pattern. A wide beam or floodlight beam pattern is a good choice if you are getting a bike light with GoPro mount.
Bike lights with a wide beam pattern will let you light up most of the trail in front of you instead of throwing all the lights in just a single area.
Such a beam pattern is also perfect for taking videos. GoPro cameras take footage of a wide area, so having a bike light that can light up a large area will leave no dark parts in the videos you are taking. (source)
DIY MTB Pro Tip: So which GoPro should you look for? Let me help with this article -> Best GoPro for Mountain Biking
It is always best to go all-out for safety bike accessories. So, it is ideal for equipping your bike with a front and rear light set if your budget allows you. But if you are on a budget and you can only buy one, then getting a front bike light with a GoPro mount is sufficient
A front light will illuminate the trail ahead of you, which lets you see and avoid obstacles. That said, illuminating your front area will secure your safety.
Of course, you also need to pay attention to alerting the bikers behind you of your presence. It is difficult to see when biking at night, and your co-bikers may clash with you if you do not make them aware of your presence.
So, if you cannot install a rear light just yet, an excellent alternative is a reflector. A bike reflector gives you increased visibility, which prevents accidents from happening. (source)
A bike light with a GoPro mount is essential if you often go biking at night. The Suptig High Power Light, for instance, is an ideal bike light for bikers who like taking videos of their rides.
DIY MTB Pro Tip: Highly recommended, the Suptig is affordable, durable and works with common GoPro mounts. Check current prices and reviews with this link -> Suptig Waterproof Diving Light High Power
This bike light has a brightness of 300 lumens, making it perfect as a front light. It also has three light settings, so you can adjust the brightness to match the trail where you are biking.
Needless to say, the Suptig High Power Light is a great biking accessory for people who like staying on the trail at night.
Looking for More Mountain Biking Video Tips
- Looking for the right GoPro for biking? Read what I found out in GoPro for Mountain Biking
- Okay, you’ve got an action camera, now what settings? Read -> GoPro Settings for Mountain Biking
- Sometimes getting a video from a higher view point captures the moment best. In those cases a helmet mount works great. Read all about the helmet options in this article -> Bike Helmets with GoPro Mounts
- Want to try videoing in the dark? You need a light compatible with a GoPro mounts. Here’s the answer -> Bike Light with GoPro Mount (Night Ride and Video)
- Okay, action cameras can be expensive. I reviewed what I think are the Best Budget Action Cameras for MTBing
- Wondering about the options for mounting a GoPro? I’ve got all the options (including DIY) in this article -> Places to Mount a GoPro on a Bike
- Read about the “Must Have” GoPro accessories -> Essential GoPro Accessories for Mountain Biking
David Humphries is the creator of DIY Mountain Bike. For me a relaxing day involves riding my mountain bike to decompress after a long day. When not on my bike I can be found wrenching on it or casting a fly on a small mountain stream. Read more about David HERE.
- Suptig Diving Light. Amazon, Accessed April 7, 2022. https://www.amazon.com/Suptig-Diving-Dimmable-Waterproof-Underwater/dp/B07315JD78.
- Robert Hurst. Bicycle Commuter’s Handbook: * Gear You Need * Clothes to Wear * Tips for Traffic *. Roadside Repair. USA: Rowman & Littlefield, 2013. https://books.google.com.ph/books?id=jLpF01Trr_QC&pg=PA21&dq=how+many+lumens+should+a+bike+light+be&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiStMfroYP3AhUMc5QKHc8uAt8Q6AF6BAgCEAI#v=onepage&q=how%20many%20lumens%20should%20a%20bike%20light%20be&f=false.
- J. Leslie Johnson. Bike With Your Dog: How to Stay Safe and Have Fun. FriesenPress, 2014. https://books.google.com.ph/books?id=fWCCAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA151&dq=should+i+use+wide+beam+light+when+biking&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjNqsrdpIP3AhUHg1YBHWeSBWIQ6AF6BAgDEAI#v=onepage&q=should%20i%20use%20wide%20beam%20light%20when%20biking&f=false.
John Forester. Effective Cycling. USA: MIT Press, 1993. https://books.google.com.ph/books?id=0n2t7P1v2M8C&pg=PP376&dq=bike+reflector&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwii4aSWpoP3AhXsglYBHbmjBGIQ6AF6BAgGEAI#v=onepage&q=bike%20reflector&f=false.