Did you know that introducing your kids to mountain biking can give them a life-long hobby? Well, that is if you enroll your child in the best youth mountain biking program to hone their skills and confidence.
If you are not sure where to start, here are 10 of the best youth mountain biking programs that your kids can benefit from:
13 Of The Best Youth Mountain Biking Program Activities
1. St. Louis MTB Camp – Castlewood State Park, Missouri
St. Louis MTB Camp is ideal for families with children who like biking. The camp offers training for children aged 8 to 14 with different skill levels. For this reason, your kids will leave the camp with the knowledge and skills they need to smash any trail.
The Beginner Mountain Bike Camp is perfect for young people who are just starting to hone their skills. It consists of 3 days, each with 3 hours of training.
On the other hand, youth mountain bikers who already have skills will enjoy the 5-day, 3 hours per day All Skills Mountain Bike Camp. Each participant should bring their own tuned-up mountain bike. Make sure that the MTB your child will bring does not have coaster brakes, as they are prohibited. Helmets, a water bottle or hydration pack, lunch, and snacks are also must-haves.
This youth mountain biking program’s staff also encourages parents to provide mountain biking gear like gloves, kneepads, and sunglasses for their children.
The camp is only 30 minutes away from the city. So, parents can rent a place to stay while the young ones are attending the youth mountain biking program. There are also a lot of fun things that parents can do while waiting for their kids. For instance, you can visit state parks and go hiking, fishing, or kayaking. (source)
2. DNK Presents – Flat Fork Creek Park, Indiana
Flat Fork Creek Park consists of 60 acres of land. Fifteen acres are forest areas that hold some of Indiana’s best mountain bike trails. Needless to say, the park is an excellent place for the youth who want to learn mountain biking.
The youth mountain biking program offered by DNK Presents is open for kids aged 7 to 15. Through this camp, kids and teenagers can gain new mountain biking skills, make friends, boost their confidence, and earn a lifetime hobby. If you are a mountain biker and want to bring your kid into the trail with you, DNK Presents’ MTB camp is a great introduction.
Even better, DNK Presents owners Daniell Wolter and Kate Nolan have their Professional Mountain Bike Instructors Association (PMBIA) teaching certification. For this reason, you can ensure that your kids will learn mountain biking skills from professionals. They also focus on empowering the youth to take on adventures through experience. (source)
Read About More Ways to Get Our Youth Outside
- What bike for a teen boy? Check out the best in this article. 🚴♀️ Mountain Bikes for Teen Boys
- Keep Your Youth Riders Comfortable with this article. 👉 Best Youth Mountain Bike Shorts
- Improve your kids biking skills with a MTB program. Check out some programs in this article. 🚴♂️ Best Youth Mountain Bike Programs
- The perfect age to start a new rider is 10 years old. Find the right bike with this article. 👉 Mountain Bikes for 10 Year-Olds
3. North Carolina Interscholastic Cycling League – North Carolina
Organized in 2015, the North Carolina Interscholastic Cycling League (NCICL) continuously partners with various sponsors, including the bike brands Trek and Shimano. It aims to provide the youth with a fun yet safe and knowledge-packed mountain biking program.
Children in 6th to 12th grade can join the youth mountain biking program. The goal of the NCICL is to provide students with a niche they cannot get from interscholastic sports. It also promotes trail-building efforts and environmental awareness, so that young mountain bikers will become knowledgeable about how to take care of the trails they explore.
Moreover, the programs offered by this mountain biking camp include:
- GRiT (Girls Riding Together) – provides girls with riding opportunities and aims to increase the number of GRiT mountain bikers in the next five years.
- Explore NC – encourages the youth members of the league to explore North Carolina Trails.
- Teen Trail Corps – teaches young mountain bikers the skills to lead and become mountain biking advocates. The lessons include mountain bike etiquette and proper trail manners.
The NCICL also offers scholarship programs so that all young mountain bikers can develop their skills regardless of their financial situation. (source)
4. Jackson Hole Mountain Sports School – Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Sometimes, the young ones have the skills they need to learn mountain biking, but the trails intimidate them. The Jackson Hole Mountain Sports School offers a youth mountain biking program that helps kids and teens to take on the trails without fear. It even has a sports rental shop for kids who do not have an MTB with them.
Meaning you can bring your kids to the camp without bringing anything. Jackson Hole Mountain Sports School has everything your kids need to learn mountain biking.
The Jackson Hole Mountain Sports School offers two camps:
- JH Sports Bike Camp – this mountain biking camp is ideal for bikers 7 to 13 years of age who can ride a 20-inch bike. It offers five full training days, consisting of supervised trail riding. After the camp, your child will be able to ride on more technical trails like a pro.
- Private Mountain Bike Park Guide – the Jackson Hole Mountain Sports School also offers a private mountain bike camp where kids can practice their skills with their families or friends. With this camp, MTB coaches will customize training depending on your kid’s skill level and expected outcome. After the session, your child will be able to tackle any trail with ease. (source)
Source: Jackson Hole (https://twitter.com/jhski)
5. Snowshoe Mountain Junior Mountain Biking Lesson – Snowshoe, West Virginia
Snowshoe Mountain has single and 3-day youth mountain biking camp packages for kids of different skill levels. Kids aged 6 to 9 can enjoy the camp with their fellow bikers while learning proper bike handling, balance, brake work, and all the skills they need to take on trails. Certified coaches will supervise the kids, so parents can ensure that learning and safety will be the camp’s priority.
The camp offers bike rentals. However, mountain bikes sell out quickly, so it is ideal to call the camp and reserve one in advance.
Learning about Mountain Bike Tires could take years. Let me help you just a bit quicker with some articles.
- Can a tire be great for both street and trail? – Find out in this article: Best MTB Tire for Street and Trail
- Are 26 inch Tires Dead? Heck no…Read – Who is a 26 inch MTB For
- Love playing in MUD – Read What tire is recommended – Mountain Bike Tires for Muddy Conditions
- Rocks can destroy a mountain bike tire – Find the Best MTB Tire for Rocky Conditions (PRO RECOMMENDED)
- Thinking about getting a 26 inch MTB let me help – Should I Get a 26 Inch Mountain Bike?
- Does sand slow you down? It might be you’ve got the wrong tires. Read – The Best MTB Tires for the Sand
Moreover, Snowshoe Mountain offers private lessons where you and your kids can receive tailored coaching. If you are a mountain biker who wishes to bring your kids on technical trails, you can book a private lesson where they will receive unique guidance and one-on-one lessons.
While the young ones are enjoying the trails, parents can also enjoy various activities like golfing, ziplining, and hiking.
This youth mountain biking program has mountain bike rentals. However, the bikes sell out immediately, so it is ideal to book in advance. (source)
6. Santa Fe Mountain Kids! – La Tierra Trails, New Mexico
Santa Fe Mountain Kids! holds a summer camp for children aged 5 to 15. This youth mountain biking program runs from Mondays to Fridays, from 9 AM to 4 PM. The Santa Fe Mountain Kids also have coaches who will teach your kids how to smash trails while prioritizing their safety.
The youth mountain biking program’s location changes every day within the La Tierra Trails, so kids can experience how trails change whenever they go for a ride. Kids will gather at Patrick Smith Park at 9 AM. From there, camp-provided vans with safety-trained drivers will pick them up and bring them to the location.
If a child is at the age where they legally need a car seat, parents have to provide the car seat they will use for the entire week. Parents who wish to take their children to the location can do so. They only need to follow the camp van, which leaves Patrick Smith Park at 10 AM.
Moreover, Santa Fe Mountain Kids offer tuition assistance for kids with parents who cannot pay camp fees. The mountain biking clinic says that it aspires to provide coaching to children irrespective of their financial status. (source)
7. Bozeman Youth Cycling – Bozeman And Gallatin Valley, Montana
Bozeman Youth Cycling is a mountain biking program available for different ages and abilities. It has programs for children in 1st to 5th grades, beginning in the fall of 2022. The youngest participants accepted by the camp are kids aged 6.
DIY MTB Pro Tip: Mountain views and single track. Montana is an MTB paradise, find where to shred in this article. 👉 Mountain Biking Places in Montana
The camp focuses on helping the youth build mountain biking skills. Coaches will ensure that children will build new skills every week. This way, your young ones will leave the camp with the confidence and skills they need to take any trail adventure. Skill-development programs include basic bike handling, camaraderie, and proper trail etiquette.
Moreover, Bozeman Youth Cycling has a few requirements for its participants. First, kids need to wear helmets that fit them properly. They also need to wear protective gear, such as knee and elbow pads and gloves. The kids’ sports shoes must be closed-toe so they can fully protect their feet while riding their bikes.
Finally, the camp requires every participant to bring their own water. (source)
8. Gravity Bike Camp At Mt. Bachelor – Bend, Central Oregon
Central Oregon is among the best places for sports enthusiasts. Even better, it has fantastic mountain biking trails that can help young riders to develop their skills.
DIY MTB Pro Tip: Oregon ROCKS for MTB activities. Read about the best places to MTB in this article. 👉 Mountain Biking Places in Oregon
Gravity Bike Camp offers a youth mountain biking program divided into two categories:
- 2-day Gravity Bike Camp
- 3-day Gravity Bike Camp
These programs welcome children who are 8 to 15 years of age. The program coaches will group the participants based on their skills. They will also designate the trails where the participants will train based on the equipment and skills they have. These trail choices include:
- exclusive single-track cross-country trails
- skill parks
- downhill trails
During the camp, a camp-provided shuttle will pick up the participants at 8:45 AM. Then, the shuttle will return at 4:15 PM so parents can pick up their kids. Parents will not have to worry about the safety of their kids once the shuttle picks them up. The reason is that coaches and camp staff will be with the children during the pickup and drop-off time.
The pickup and drop-off location will be at Mt. Bachelor Park & Ride. However, it is essential to note that the bus seats are not open for reservation. Meaning seating is first-come, first-serve. For this reason, you must bring your child to the pickup point early to guarantee their seat. (source)
Source: Killington Resort (https://twitter.com/KillingtonMtn)
9. Park City Young Riders – Park City, Northern Utah
This youth mountain biking program offers once-a-week and week-long camps.
During the once-a-week program, participants 5 to 12 years old can choose a specific camp depending on their age and skills. The program choices and age requirements for both classes are:
- PeeWee Co-Ed – for girls and boys aged 5 to 7 years old. The program holds a 2-hour mountain biking session every week or every day, depending on the program you enrolled your child in.
- Beginner Girls And Boys – for kids 7 to 9 years old with a program schedule the same as the PeeWee Co-Ed program.
- Intermediate Girls And Boys – kids aged 8 to 11 are welcome in this program. Each class lasts for 2 to 3 hours.
- Advanced Girls And Boys – for kids 9 to 12 years old. Participants will train during the camp for 3 hours per session.
- Downhill Class – 4 hours of training for kids 9 to 14 years old. Kids and teens interested in riding downhill at a fast speed will undoubtedly enjoy this program.
Moreover, week-long camps have more programs and age requirements than once-a-week camps, so you can check their website to know more. (source)
10. Whistler Blackcomb DFX Mini Shredders – Whistler, British Columbia
DFX Mini Shredders is a youth mountain biking program where PMBI-qualified coaches encourage and help kids to explore trails and ride their mountain bikes. The coaches will choose what trail will match the skills of the child, allowing them to have a level of difficulty that their skills can take. During the camp, the young ones will gradually transition from a regular kid’s bike to a mountain bike. This way, they can build their confidence, stamina, and abilities in no time.
Apart from mountain bike training, coaches will also encourage kids to enjoy the camp through different activities. Such include gondola rides, nature hikes, games, mini golf, and other fun activities. These activities will prevent kids from experiencing boredom, which can happen if they do nothing but ride their mountain bikes.
Moreover, coaches will create groups based on the participants’ age and skills. There are mountain biking lessons for kids 5 to 12 years old and 13 to 16 years old. Even the young ones who do not have any experience with mountain biking can enroll in the program. After the camp, every participant will leave with the skills they need for smashing any trail. (source)
11. Highland Mountain – Massachusetts
Highland Mountain Camp Lessons offer different youth mountain biking programs. There is a kids camp for kids within the age range of 6 to 14. In this camp, coaches will introduce the kids to technical trails and help them build strong mountain biking skills. Anyone within the age range can enroll in this program. However, they should already know how to ride any type of bike.
DIY MTB Pro Tip: Read about the best places to MTB in this article. 👉 Mountain Biking Places in Massachusetts
In addition, they need to have their own gloves, knee pads, elbow pads, and full-face helmets to protect them.
There is also a summer mountain bike camp that consists of a 3-day program. Kids aged 8 to 13 who are interested in downhill mountain biking can enjoy this program as coaches will help them tackle rigorous trails. During this camp, mountain bikers will learn new skills and bring their mountain biking abilities to an entirely new level.
Moreover, there is also a week-long mountain biking camp called the Ayr Academy. This camp is available for teens who are 11 to 17 years old. Professional riders will serve as the coaches of this camp, along with Highland Mountain’s coaching staff. Your young ones can join this camp regardless of their skill level. (source)
Source: Highland Mountain (https://twitter.com/Highland_MTN)
12. Milepost35 Mountain Bike Camp – Mt. Hood, Oregon
Milepost35’s Youth Mountain Bike Camp consists of 7 consecutive days of training on Mt. Hood, Oregon. This is an all-inclusive camp, meaning accommodation, food, lift tickets, t-shirts, and everything you will need during the camp will be provided by Milepost35. Youth who are 9 to 20 years of age are welcome to join the camp.
Since the camp is on Mt. Hood, Oregon, camp participants can enjoy fantastic terrains and trails. More than 100 camp staff will also guide your young ones with everything they need to learn.
In addition, participants can access the private Wy’East Mountain Academy anytime during the camp’s duration. Within the campus, there is a chance that campers will cross paths with famous mountain bikers from around the world.
Moreover, Milepost35 has industry-leading coaches who handle campers irrespective of their skill levels. Staff will even work with your kids on a one-on-one basis. This way, they can help the participants to develop their skills in a customized way.
This youth mountain biking program will provide kids with many staff during group rides. This way, they can tackle the train in small groups while the camp staff provides them personalized attention and lesson. (source)
13. Dirt Series Mountain Bike Camp – Different Locations Across USA
Dirt Series Mountain Bike Camp happens every weekend. Youth within the age range of 11 to 17 are welcome to register and participate in this youth mountain biking program. There are also female-only programs for young people of the same age range.
Participants will develop their skills during the skill development session in the mornings. And in the afternoon, they can apply what they learn from the morning session to the instructional rides. On Saturdays, the camp also holds evening sessions, where coaches teach the participants proper bike fit and maintenance. It also serves as a time for the young ones to socialize.
Moreover, coaches divide the participants by making them answer a skill questionnaire. The information provided by the participants will help the coaches determine whether they are a beginner or intermediate mountain bikers, allowing them to decide on the groupings. This way, the coaches can customize the skill training sessions and trails that fit each participant.
The participant-to-coach ratio is 6:1, so you can ensure that the coaches focus on developing the skills of every youth enrolled in the program. (source)
Source: United Sport & Cycle (https://twitter.com/Unitedsport1928)
Summing Things Up
Have you found a youth mountain biking program to enroll your child in? If you did, make sure to share this article with your friends. Who knows? You might even find another family who wants to enroll their child in the camp.
Also, feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section below! If you have questions, our comments section is open, so we can communicate.
David Humphries is the creator of DIY Mountain Bike. For me a relaxing day involves riding my mountain bike to decompress after a long day. When not on my bike I can be found wrenching on it or making YouTube videos at 👉 DIY Mountain Bike Read more about David HERE.
- Castlewood Mountain Bike + Adventure Summer Camp. St. Louis MTB Camp. Accessed September 9, 2022. https://www.stlmtb.com/summer-camp.
- DNK Presents your next great adventure! DNK Presents. Accessed September 9, 2022. https://dnkpresents.com/.
- About the North Carolina League. North Carolina Interscholastic Cycling League. Accessed September 9, 2022. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NOlMRMgN6hy8NKgffqoU3Pn4_-Aw_oipjuTOq-vwTJA/edit#heading=h.vniq2rb3qhpn.
- Jh Sports Youth Bike Camps. Jackson Hole. Accessed September 9, 2022. https://www.jacksonhole.com/mountain-bike-camp.
- Snowshoe Mountain Junior Mountain Biking Lesson. Snowshoe Mountain. Accessed September 9, 2022. https://www.snowshoemtn.com/plan-your-trip/lessons/summer-lessons/junior-group-bike-lesson.
- Mountain Kids! Summer Camp. Santa Fe Mountain Kids. Accessed September 10, 2022. https://sfmountainkids.com/mountain-kids-summer-camp-2022/.
- BYC Youth Program. Bozeman Youth Cycling. Accessed September 10, 2022. https://bozemanyouthcycling.org/byc-programs/byc-youth-program/.
- Calling All Gravity Groms! Mt. Bachelor. Accessed September 10, 2022. https://www.mtbachelor.com/plan-your-trip/bike-park/kids-camps.
- Young Riders Youth Mountain Biking Program. Young Riders. Accessed September 10, 2022. https://www.youngriders.com/page/show/5482118-week-long-camps.
- Lessons. Summer Camps. Private Coaching. Highland Mountain. Accessed September 10, 2022. https://www.highlandmountain.com/camps-lessons/camps/overview/choose-your-camp/.
- DFX Mini Shredders. Whistler Blackcomb. Accessed September 10, 2022. https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/explore-the-resort/activities-and-events/whistler-mountain-bike-park/bike-school/kids-3-12/dfx-kids/dfx-minishredders.aspx.
- Youth Camp. Milepost35. Accessed September 10, 2022. https://www.milepost35.com/youth-camps.
- Camp Overview. Dirt Series Mountain Bike Camps. Accessed September 10, 2022. https://dirtseries.com/experience/camp-overview/.