Enjoying mountain biking is hard when it causes discomfort and saddle sores. Such is especially true for young bikers still getting used to the sport. To combat the pain and discomfort experienced by your kids as they sit and pedal their mountain bikes, your kids should wear mountain biking shorts.
If you are unsure what MTB shorts you should get for your kids, read on as we will discuss the best ones on the market.
Among the best youth mountain bike shorts in the market, today are:
- Santic Men’s Padded Mountain Bike Shorts
- Urban Cycling Apparel Single Tracker Mountain Bike Shorts
- Fox Racing Kids’ Youth Ranger Shorts
- Baleaf Kids Padded Bike Shorts
- ZOIC Boys Ether Cycling Pants
Best Youth Mountain Bike Shorts
1. Santic Padded Mountain Bike Shorts – Best Overall
- Highly breathable and quick-drying
- The padding makes mountain biking extra comfortable
- Soft on the skin
Want more information on the Santic Padded Mountain Bike Shorts? I’ve got a shortcut link to Amazon for current prices and reviews 👉 Santic Padded Mountain Bike Shorts
- Features drawstring waist closure
These padded mountain bike shorts from Santic prove one of the best youth mountain bike shorts. It consists of Lycra and polyester materials that make it elastic and highly durable. It is also breathable and fast-drying, so sweat will not be a problem regardless of how hot the weather is.
Your kids will stay feeling superb throughout the ride as these shorts do not retain moisture. And since it is baggy, it will not bind to the skin as your kids pedal, thus making the ride even more comfortable.
But the best feature of the Santic Mountain Bike Shorts is its 4D COOLMAX padding on the seat side. The cushion is thin yet firm, preventing it from trapping heat even if your kid wears it for an entire day. It also prevents saddle sores and sudden pain caused by riding on rough trails. (source)
2. Urban Cycling Apparel Youth Single Tracker Mountain Bike Shorts – Best for Style
- Features zippered pockets
- Has anti-bacterial padding
- Boasts adjustability features
Interested in the Youth Single Tracker Shorts? Check the current prices and reviews on Amazon with this shortcut link 👉Urban Cycling Apparel Youth Single Tracker Mountain Bike Shorts
- The size variations are large
If you are looking for a stylish yet comfortable pair of mountain bike shorts for kids, this one from Urban Cycling Apparel is worth checking out.
These cargo shorts are made out of high-quality Condura fabric and work excellently in all trail and weather conditions. The material has a moisture-wicking ability, so it will remain dry even during humid weather. The shorts’ back area has firm G-TEX 3D padding to make mountain biking hours comfortable. The padding has anti-bacterial properties, so your kid does not have to worry about sweat and odor.
If you have a size too big for your kid, these shorts come with belt loops that help provide a precise fit. The shorts’ legs also have Velcro straps so your kid can adjust the fit to their preferred size.
There are even zippered pockets where your kid can place their small valuables while mountain biking. It is one of the best youth mountain bike shorts you can get for your kid. (source)
- Available in various sizes
- Stylish performs well
- The fabric and waistband are comfortable
Want more information on the Youth Ranger Shorts? I’ve got a shortcut link to Amazon for current prices and reviews 👉Fox Racing Kids’ Youth Ranger Shorts
- On the pricey side
The Fox Racing Youth Ranger Shorts is among the best youth mountain bike shorts made out of stretchable polyester and Ripstop fabric. Its high-quality material and build can withstand years of use. It is also highly durable, making it worth the price.
Additionally, the design of these shorts allows the wearer to move their legs freely. For this reason, kids will not feel any restriction as they pedal through the rough trails. The shorts also have four pockets where kids can place small essentials like energy bars.
For maximum comfort, the TruDri-lined waistband of these shorts is adjustable. The said material does not retain moisture, so sweat quickly dries when your kid mountain bikes on a hot day.
Of course, mountain bike shorts will not be enough if they cannot saddle discomfort. This pair of shorts has a removable dual-density chamois inside, keeping the bum area of your kid pain-free. The lining also prevents soreness on the sensitive skin of your kid’s thighs. (source)
- Provides comfort through its 3D sponge cushion
- Made of cool and breathable material
- Features internal silicon grippers
Interested in the Baleaf Kids Shorts? Check the current prices and reviews on Amazon with this shortcut link 👉Baleaf Kids Padded Bike Shorts
- Does not have pockets
Some bikers prefer wearing fitted shorts during the ride. If your kid is one of those, the Baleaf Padded Bike Shorts are an excellent choice.
This pair of shorts is suitable for both boys and girls. Made of Nylon and Spandex materials, these shorts are highly elastic, breathable, and lightweight. For this reason, your kid will remain to feel cool even if the shorts hug their legs tightly.
Moreover, the seat side of these shorts consists of 3D sponge padding that prevents saddle sores during long rides. And since fitted shorts tend to ride up the thighs while the wearer is pedaling, Baleaf added internal silicon grippers to these shorts to prevent that. The elastic waistband is also secure, yet it does not put too much pressure on your kid’s waist.
With excellent comfort and performance combined, these shorts are one of the best youth mountain bike shorts. (source)
5. ZOIC Boys Ether Jr Cycling Shorts – Best for Every Day Ride
- It has a loose and comfortable design
- Features secure pockets
- Has Velcro adjusters on the sides of the waistband
Want more information on the Ether Jr Cycling Shorts? I’ve got a shortcut link to Amazon for current prices and reviews 👉ZOIC Boys Ether Jr Cycling Shorts
The Zoic Ether MTB shorts are the best youth mountain bike shorts for daily riding. It features polyester and spandex fabrics, allowing it to stretch well when your kid pedals through the rough trail. The fabric quickly dries, so you can wash it after an entire day of mountain biking, and your kid can wear it again the next day. This pair of mountain bike shorts are ideal for young bikers who conquer the trail daily.
These shorts feature a snap and zip closure waistband, ensuring that it fits well on your kid. Below the waistband is an airflow mesh, making the shorts comfortable to wear even for an entire day. And if your kid finds the waistband too loose, the Velcro adjuster on the sides can easily correct the fit precisely.
In addition, this pair of shorts features two leg pockets, two back pockets, and two leg pockets where kids can put their valuables. There are also cellphone pockets where your kid can place their smartphones safely. (source)
High-quality shorts are an excellent investment for mountain bikers, especially for teens who are not yet used to the toughness of the sport. The best youth mountain bike shorts should make rough rides feel comfortable, so they must have suitable features for your kid. For instance, if the area where you are frequently mountain biking has warm weather, your kid’s MTB shorts should be loose, breathable, and lightweight.
But considering the endless choices of mountain biking shorts on the market, getting the best one can be challenging. That said, we compiled the features of the best youth mountain bike shorts.
The first feature you need to look for when getting MTB shorts is whether they have padding or not. If your kid loves mountain biking for long hours, their shorts should have firm padding to provide comfort. This padding should be breathable and high-quality to prevent excessive sweating.
The primary purpose of this padding is to protect your kid’s sit bones from the pressure caused by sitting on the bike saddle for hours. With this feature, your kid will not suffer from saddle sores, making mountain biking a better experience for them.
Moreover, some of the best youth mountain bike shorts have removable padding. It is an excellent option as it allows you to wash the padding separately or wear the shorts without it.
The best youth mountain bike shorts should have lightweight and highly durable fabric. Nylon is an excellent material option for loose mountain biking shorts, as it can withstand abuse. Nylon fabrics also do not easily tear, so they will stay in shape even after years of use.
Loose MTB shorts made out of nylon also has moisture-wicking properties, so they do not hold sweat and dry quickly. This fabric is also stretchable, so it will not restrict your kid’s legs from pedaling.
On the other hand, spandex is an excellent material for fitted mountain biking shorts. This tear-resistant fabric allows young cyclists to move freely, even if the shorts cover their legs like a second skin. Similar to nylon, spandex dries out quickly, making a great pair of shorts for mountain bikers who dislike the feeling of sweaty shorts.
Adjustability is an essential feature of the best youth mountain bike shorts. Not only does it provide secure closure, but it also allows the wearer to find the right tightness of the shorts for their preference.
Another excellent but optional feature for mountain bike shorts is adjustable straps on the legs. If your kid is wearing loose shorts, these straps help tighten the legs and prevent them from riding up. (source)
Read About More Ways to Get Our Youth Outside
- What bike for a teen boy? Check out the best in this article. 🚴♀️ Mountain Bikes for Teen Boys
- Keep Your Youth Riders Comfortable with this article. 👉 Best Youth Mountain Bike Shorts
- Improve your kids biking skills with a MTB program. Check out some programs in this article. 🚴♂️ Best Youth Mountain Bike Programs
- The perfect age to start a new rider is 10 years old. Find the right bike with this article. 👉 Mountain Bikes for 10 Year-Olds
Do Youth Mountain Bike Shorts Make the Ride Better?
While they might not seem much, wearing mountain bike shorts can make a huge difference in how kids ride their bikes. Apart from bringing comfort, they can also prevent painful saddles sores that kids may experience when mountain biking for hours. Below are some other reasons why your kids should wear mountain bike shorts:
Padded mountain bike shorts cover both the sit bones and the base of the hips. For this reason, it prevents the pressure caused by the saddle and your weight from hurting your kid’s sit bones. It also distributes the pressure so that the sensitive skin on the wearer’s thighs will not hurt.
Additionally, the best mountain biking shorts for young ones are breathable. So, they prevent sweat from building up on the skin and maximize aerodynamics.
If you notice, athletes, especially the ones who use their legs a lot, wear tight shorts. The reason is that leg-hugging mountain bike shorts compress the muscles as the wearer pedals. As a result, your kid will not feel too much muscle fatigue and soreness even when they mountain bike for hours.
The best youth mountain bike shorts are flexible. Unlike regular shorts, they will not prevent the legs from moving freely, especially when your kid needs to hammer their way into the trail. It will result in a more comfortable ride than wearing shorts that are not for mountain biking.
Mountain biking makes kids sweat a lot, which can cause irritation and rashes if trapped between their clothes and skin. Wearing mountain bike shorts with moisture-wicking properties prevents such from happening. They are also breathable, so they will not make sweating while mountain biking worse.
Moreover, the best materials for mountain biking shorts can wick moisture, so they will not trap and soak in the sweat produced by your kid’s body. (source)
After carefully testing the youth mountain bike shorts mentioned above, we found that the Santic Men’s Padded Mountain Bike Shorts is the best choice for young cyclists.
Other excellent choices are the Urban Cycling Apparel Single Tracker Mountain Bike Shorts and Fox Racing Kids’ Youth Ranger Shorts. These shorts are comfortable and flexible, allowing kids to move freely while wearing them. However, what makes the Santic MTB Shorts better than these two is that they do not bind to the skin when worn.
All the shorts mentioned above prevent saddle soreness and sweat buildup. As a result, they feel comfortable wearing them even for long hours.
- Image Credit Trialcraft Cycles – A big thanks! https://www.trailcraftcycles.com/
- Santic Men’s Mountain Bike Shorts Bicycle Cycling MTB Shorts Loose-Fit Padded. Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Santic-Cycling-Loose-Fit-Bicycle-Mountain/dp/B01ISCGXPW/?tag=jumbo08c-20. Accessed August 25, 2022.
- Urban Cycling Apparel The Single Tracker – Mountain Bike MTB Shorts with Secure Pockets. Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Urban-Cycling-Apparel-Single-Tracker/dp/B082QRDY9H?/tag=jumbo08c-20. Accessed August 25, 2022.
- Fox Racing Kids’ Youth Ranger Short. https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Racing-Boys-Cycling-Shorts/dp/B084H685LV?/tag=jumbo08c-20. Accessed August 25, 2022.
- Image Credit Fox Racing. https://www.foxracing.com/
- BALEAF Kids Padded Bike Shorts Girls Boys 10-12 Cycling Mountain Biking Youth Triathlon MTB Liner UPF 50+. Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/BALEAF-Padded-Shorts-Cycling-Triathlon/dp/B08YRHQQFJ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1GEUW7JGM0R3C&keywords=Dakine+Pace+Youth+Mountain+Biking+Shorts&qid=1661389734&sprefix=dakine+pace+youth+mountain+biking+shorts%2Caps%2C293&sr=8-3. Accessed August 25, 2022.
- ZOIC Boys Ether Jr Cycling Pants. https://www.amazon.com/ZOIC-Ether-Shorts-Green-Medium/dp/B01701HBGW/ref=sr_1_13?crid=2WO01PYNGOUEU&keywords=zoic+boys+ether+jr+cycling+pants&qid=1661390399&sprefix=%2Caps%2C272&sr=8-13. Accessed August 25, 2022.
- Hicks, Meghan, Powell, and Bryon. Where the Road Ends: A Guide to Trail Running. USA: Human Kinetics, 2016. https://books.google.com.ph/books?id=uzWyCwAAQBAJ&pg=PA71&dq=features+of+the+best+cycling+shorts&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiV8-Lw6eH5AhVHkVYBHTXFCNMQ6AF6BAgGEAI#v=onepage&q=features%20of%20the%20best%20cycling%20shorts&f=false. Accessed August 25, 2022.
- Wes Hobson, Clark Campbell, Mike Vickers, and Michael F. Vickers. Swim, Bike, Run. USA: Human Kinetics, 2001. https://books.google.com.ph/books?id=hxR6Tka9moIC&pg=PA90&dq=features+of+the+best+cycling+shorts&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiV8-Lw6eH5AhVHkVYBHTXFCNMQ6AF6BAgDEAI#v=onepage&q=features%20of%20the%20best%20cycling%20shorts&f=false. Accessed August 25, 2022.