The best Trek mountain bike under 500 can be hard to find. The reason is that Trek is a high-end brand that offers expensive bikes. Fortunately, there is a model that does not have a heavy price tag but has an excellent quality.
The Trek 820 mountain bike is one of the company’s excellent deals you can get. It has the Trek Custom Steel frame that makes it highly durable. It also has a front suspension fork that makes the bike feel stable on every trail.
Trails, hills, and rough roads require a special kind of bike. This bike has to be sturdy and should handle the roughest terrains.
The problem is that finding a good mountain bike can be a challenge due to its price range. While great MTB brands, such as Trek, offer high-quality mountain bikes, purchasing one can cause you a great deal of money.
Fortunately, Trek Bikes offers mountain bikes under $500. If you are on a budget and need an MTB, you need to check out the Trek 820.
DIY MTB Tip: An ongoing battle is going on in the US. Trek vs Specialized and the question which is better? Read more in this article – Specialized Versus Trek Mountain Bikes Battle It Out
This MTB is the best Trek mountain bike under 500. You will get a frame that is built to last at this price. It can also withstand abuse and rough treatment.
In my experience, I thought that Trek 820’s overall look was a little generic. So, I added some lights, a kickstand, and fenders.
Here are the features of the Trek 820 mountain bike:
Similar to expensive Trek MTBs, Trek 820’s frame is exceptionally durable. The Trek Custom Steel frame can carry a total weight of 300lbs.
Without the accessories I added, the bike’s weight is around 34lbs. So, that leaves you with 266lbs to use.
Moreover, the bike comes in five sizes for you to choose from. Such is an advantage since you will choose the right size for your body frame.
The wheels consist of a durable alloy, lightweight yet excellent strength. The bike tires are semi-slick; thus, they will help you ride smoothly on rocky trails.
This hardtail bike does not have a rear suspension. Still, it has a front suspension fork. For this reason, you will never experience too much vibration when you are going downhill.
The best thing about this mountain bike is that it lets you experience what a professional MTB is capable of without emptying your wallet.
For instance, the front suspension works excellently, and the tires provide a good grip on every ride. But more than that, the best Trek mountain bike under 500 consists of high-quality components.
|Frame||Trek Custom Steel, rack mounts, 135mm x 5mm QR|
|Handlebar||Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, 15mm rise, 660mm width|
|Fork||SR Suntour M-3030, coil spring, 100mm x 5mm QR, 75mm travel|
|Rim||Bontrager AT-550, alloy, 36-hole, Schrader valve|
|Brake||Tektro alloy linear-pull|
|Front and Rear Derailleur||Shimano Tourney TY500, 31.8mm clamp, top swing, dual pullShimano Tourney TY300, long cage, 34T max cog (source)|
The TREK website has even more information on the 820. Here’s a link to learn more -> Trek 820 Mountain Bike Under $500
This Hiland mountain bike features 27.5-inch wheels along with a lockout suspension fork. These two features alone can support all types of riding conditions. In addition, the large wheel size allows the bike to conquer gravel surfaces and muddy terrains.
You can also choose between two sizes – an 18 or 19.5-inch frame. The bike even offers hydraulic disc brakes, making it sit next to the best Trek mountain bike under 500. (source) Amazon sells the Hiland, if you’d like to read more reviews and check the prices here’s a link to help your search. -> Hiland 27.5″ Mountain Bike
While the best Trek mountain bike under 500 offers an excellent build, the Hiland 27.5″ MTB will not disappoint. This versatile bike can work as a mountain bike, commuter bike, and cross-country bike.
The best thing about the Huffy Hardtail Mountain Bike is the sturdy alloy frame combined with the 3-piece Kolo steel crank. The result is a smooth ride through a bike that can handle even rough trails.
Additionally, the 26″ x 1.95″ large tires allow you to keep your footing on the terrains you are taking. The gear shifts are smooth, and the bike itself looks sleek.
Moreover, some people complained that the bike’s weight makes pedaling difficult. But in my experience, I did not have a problem with the weight and pedaling. In fact, they added a challenge for me, making my rides a lot better.
Furthermore, one buyer said, “I usually don’t give 5 stars but this product deserves it. I must say that I only went out a couple of times on trails that are not demanding so my rating may be premature but all components are working well and I have a good feeling about quality.” (source)
DIY MTB Tip: The Huffy Stone Mountain provides a fantastic value. Read more and check current prices with this link to Amazon -> Huffy Stone Mountain 26 inch MTB
Additionally, it boasts Shimano hardware that includes a 100mm fork. It also has a:
- Prowheel crank
- EF500 gearbox shifters
- TY300 Tourney rear derailleur
- TZ500 Tourney front derailleur
- 4-28T cassette
With the Shimano hardware being top-tier in the cycling world, you can ensure that this mountain bike will only give you the best. (source)
Mongoose has already established a name in the mountain biking industry. So, Status 2.2 is considered a great alternative to the best Trek mountain bike under 500.
The bike features a reliable and durable aluminum frame that withstands rough rides.
It also has hydroformed tubing, a robust suspension fork, and 26-inch alloy rim wheels. Even better, it boasts a 21-speed and reliable shifting system.
Moreover, Status 2.2’s braking system is strong and durable. (source)
The Schwinn High Timber MTB offers outstanding performance. It has the SR Suntour front suspension fork so that you can go mountain biking anywhere, regardless of the trail difficulty.
The brakes are also powerful as they consist of alloyed linear pull.
On the other hand, the frame consists of steel and alloys. For this reason, you can ensure that it is durable enough to conquer rough trails. (source)
The best Trek mountain bike under 500 features an aluminum alloy frame. This factor makes the MTB lightweight yet durable.
Additionally, it has a 21-speed Shimano shifter, a feature that is common to most high-end MTB models. It has a dual disc brake, which provides cyclists with fantastic stopping power. For this reason, the Eurobike X1 mountain bike is a great deal for its price. (source)
This mountain bike allows you to ride over every type of challenging terrain, mainly sand and snow, regardless of the weather. The reason is that it features a robust construction along with a steel frame that can withstand abuse.
Even better, the Dynacraft Fat Tire Bike has a set of 26-inch tires, which lets you ride like no other.
In terms of comfort, this fat tire bike has a padded saddle, so you will feel comfortable even when riding on rocky trails. (source)
The Max4out Fat Tire Bike features a solid frame excellently welded for quality. You can ensure that this bike will work smoothly even on the roughest terrains. The 26-inch tires feature a fantastic grip. For this reason, the bike will remain to roll on snowy terrains and uphill or downhill climb.
The bike has 21 speeds that can easily handle hilly trails to make things even better. (source)
The bike that sits next to the best Trek mountain bike under 500 should be easy to assemble. Such is something that the SIRDAR S-900 can do as it will come to your doorstep 95 percent assembled.
More than that, the bike comes with three gears of the front derailleur and nine gears of the rear derailleur. The 27 speeds provide bikers with smooth shifting, and the double-disc brakes offer a lot of braking power. (source)
Are Trek Bikes Worth the Money?
Trek bikes are one of the most popular cycling companies in the USA. The brand offers high-quality bikes for men, women, and even kids. Even better, being in the cycling industry for nearly 52 years is an assurance that its products are nothing but the best.
However, it is worth noting that most Trek bikes come with a heavy price tag. Fortunately, you can also find the best Trek mountain bike under 500.
So, are Trek bikes worth the money? Definitely. Its long history of manufacturing excellent bikes for beginners and professionals alike allowed it to gain the trust of many cyclists. (source)
Merida offers high-quality bikes with excellent frames, even on its low-end options. Its mountain bikes have suitable geometry that provides bikers with stable rides on trails. The frames it manufactures are popular that even some of the Giant mountain bikes consist of Merida frames.
Meanwhile, Trek’s edge in the industry is its long history. In addition, it offers only the best bikes from different price points.
For instance, you can get the best Trek mountain bike under 500.
Another notable thing about Trek bikes is that they pack high-end technologies like hydraulic disc brakes.
That said, you can never really compare Merida and Trek. The reason is that they both have their strength and weaknesses.
So, if you want an MTB with high-quality frames, you should go for Merida. But if you want a bike that boasts new and high-end technologies, then Trek is the brand for you. (source)
DIY MTB Tip: PRO MTB rider Hannah Finchamp wrote a complete guide to selecting your first MTB. Check it out -> HERE
If you are new to mountain biking, knowing what you need to look for when choosing your first MTB is essential. The reason is that getting a mountain bike based only on the price or looks will be a costly mistake. But if you want to choose an MTB easily, I suggest you go for the best Trek mountain bike under 500.
Moreover, below are some tips for choosing your first mountain bike:
The first thing you need to do is measure the frame size to fit your build. Never rely solely on an online store’s stated size, as most companies label their bike sizes only as small, medium, and large.
Instead, find out the reach, stack, and other measurements of the bike you are eyeing. This way, you can ensure that you will get a model that you are comfortable with.
Strength is more important than weight when it comes to mountain bikes. Lightweight bikes will not let you conquer rocky trails and hilly terrains. For this reason, your bike should have a few extra pounds than being too light. Read more about weight and mountain bikes in THIS ARTICLE.
Once you have your eyes on a particular bike, make sure to check reviews about its shocks and forks. You can also visit the manufacturer’s site to know the exact models.
This way, you will learn how much quality your chosen mountain bike has. For instance, the best Trek mountain bike under 500 has high-quality components. Read about suspension in this article – What is Travel and is More Better?
The trend is constantly changing, even on bikes. For this reason, you need to make sure that the design and components of your cycles will never go out of style. (source)
Mountain bikes are expensive, but you can get the best Trek mountain bike under 500. But the reason for the high price of MTBs is the components that it has.
Mountain bikes are built to withstand abuse and rough rides. So, they need to have durable components, which come at high prices.
Additionally, cycling companies are increasingly using high-end technologies for their MTBs.
Moreover, it is also necessary for mountain bikes to have proper parts to keep you safe. (source)
DIY MTB Tip: Have you ever wondered how to reduce the cost of riding? I’ve got an article that reveals all the “hidden” costs. Read it here -> Is Mountain Biking Expensive? A Guide to All The Hidden Costs
It isn’t easy to find a mountain bike that does not cost an arm and a leg. Fortunately, there is the best Trek mountain bike under 500. Having personally ridden the Trek 820, I can attest that it offers a professional mountain bike feel. The components are sturdy, and the bike itself is comfortable.
But if you think Trek 820 is not for you, there are available alternatives on Amazon that offer similar quality. Even better, they all cost under $500.
David Humphries is the creator of DIY Mountain Bike. For me a relaxing day involves riding my mountain bike to decompress after a long day. When not on my bike I can be found wrenching on it or casting a fly on a small mountain stream. Read more about David HERE.
- “Trek 820.” Trek Bikes. Accessed December 9, 2021. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/compare/.
- “Hiland Mountain Bike 27 Speeds, Lock-Out Suspension Fork, Aluminum Frame 27.5 inch Wheel, Hydraulic Disc-Brake for Men Women Mens MTB Bicycle 3 Sizes.” Amazon. Accessed December 9, 2021. https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Lock-Out-Suspension-Hydraulic-Disc-Brake/dp/B092DD6C9Z/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=mountain+bikes&qid=1639101066&refinements=p_36%3A17784040011&rnid=17784038011&s=outdoor-recreation&sr=1-1.
- “Huffy Hardtail Mountain Bike, Stone Mountain 26 inch, 21-Speed, Lightweight, Dark Blue.” Amazon. Accessed December 9, 2021. https://www.amazon.com/Huffy-Hardtail-Mountain-21-Speed-Lightweight/dp/B07DT78NWR/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=mountain%2Bbikes&qid=1639101066&refinements=p_36%3A17784040011&rnid=17784038011&s=outdoor-recreation&sr=1-8&th=1.
- “Hiland Aluminum Mountain Bike,Shimano 24 Speeds,26 inch Wheels, with Disc Brake,3 Sizes for Men Mens Bikes.” Amazon. Accessed December 9, 2021. https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Aluminum-Kickstand-Suspension-Commuter/dp/B07SDDGZRM/ref=sr_1_23?keywords=mountain+bikes&qid=1639101066&refinements=p_36%3A17784040011&rnid=17784038011&s=outdoor-recreation&sr=1-23
- “Mongoose Status Mountain Bike, Mens and Womens, Aluminum Frame, Multiple Colors.” Amazon. Accessed December 9, 2021. https://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Mountain-21-Speed-Shifters-Suspension/dp/B01NC31KHH/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=mongoose%2Bmountain%2Bbike&qid=1639101332&s=outdoor-recreation&sr=1-4&th=1&psc=1
- “Schwinn High Timber Youth/Adult Mountain Bike, Aluminum and Steel Frame Options, 7-21 Speeds Options, 24-29-Inch Wheels, Multiple Colors.” Amazon. Accessed December 9, 2021. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08239STR3?tag=bikesreview0f-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1.
- “Eurobike X1 27.5 Inch Wheels Mountain Bike 21 Speed MTB Bicycle Suspension Fork Mountain Bicycle.” Amazon. Accessed December 9, 2021.https://www.amazon.com/EUROBIKE-Mountain-Bicycle-Suspension-BlackRed/dp/B07K44FB9J/ref=sr_1_18?keywords=mountain%2Bbikes%2Bfor%2Bmen&pd_rd_r=1aa71e7d-15c2-43a8-86a5-759b392f057d&pd_rd_w=SpWvr&pd_rd_wg=eC8y5&pf_rd_p=4fa0e97a-13a4-491b-a127-133a554b4da3&pf_rd_r=8GWWD5FC4K2KNHWK4DD8&qid=1639121446&sr=8-18&th=1
- “Krusher Men’s Dynacraft Fat Tire Bike.” Amazon. Accessed December 9, 2021. https://www.amazon.com/Krusher-Mens-Dynacraft-Tire-Black/dp/B00J40B2GS/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3MEI0S9Z7TTSI&keywords=fat%2Btire%2Bbike&qid=1639109138&sprefix=fat%2Bt%2Caps%2C362&sr=8-4&th=1&psc=1
- “Max4out Fat Tire and Normal Tire Mountain Bike with 26-inch Wheels, 21 Speed, with High Carbon Steel Frame, Double Disc Brake, and Front Suspension Anti-Slip Bikes, Urban Commuter City Bicycle.” Amazon. Accessed December 9, 2021. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z37H8ML/ref=aod_recommendations_asins_1?th=1.
- “SIRDAR S-900 27 Speed 27.5 inch Mountain Bike Aluminum Alloy and High Carbon Steel with 2 Replaceable Seat, Full Suspension Disc Brake Outdoor Bikes for Men Women.” Amazon. Accessed December 9, 2021.https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Aluminum-Replaceable-Suspension-Outdoor/dp/B08FDSZS9H?ref_=ast_sto_dp%20338.99.
- Jack W. Plunkett, Plunkett’s Sports Industry Almanac 2008. Houston: Plunkett Research, Ltd., 2008, https://books.google.com.ph/books?id=0plTunCFHVUC&printsec=copyright#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- “Merida vs Trek,” Bikehub Forum. September 21, 2013.
- Mike Davis, Guy Andrews, Complete Mountain Bike Maintenance. Bloomsbury Publishing, 2013. https://books.google.com.ph/books?id=FcVdAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA15&dq=Why+Are+Mountain+Bikes+So+Expensive?&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjfmbiPkNn0AhVKQ_UHHa58Du8Q6AF6BAgLEAI#v=onepage&q=Why%20Are%20Mountain%20Bikes%20So%20Expensive%3F&f=false.