The mountain biking with music can complete any biking adventure. I seem to ride a little faster when the right tune pops up on my playlist. The AfterShokz Aeropex have bubbled up as the best headphones for me. Light weight, comfortable, water resistant and with pretty good sound quality.
The cool thing is that with the bone conduction, I can still hear the surroundings and take a call. The buttons are easy to access making volume adjustments fast. (which is good when both hands should be on the handlebars)
Right now, my recommendation is the AfterShokz Aeropex. It does not cover your ears entirely so you can hear the ambient sound and music while mountain biking. It is also lightweight to ensure comfort even during long rides. It fit perfectly with my helmet and sunglasses.
Best Mountain Biking Headphones
AfterShokz Aeropex Sport Headphones – Best Overall
Reasons To Buy:
- Competitively priced for higher end headphones
- Excellent battery life (up to 8 hrs.)
- Allows you to hear your surroundings still
- Lightweight (26g) and comfortable to wear (even with sunglasses and a helmet)
I love biking with earbuds. Listening to the right song seems to make my legs stronger. 😎 The AfterShokz Headphones are highly rated and competitively priced. Read what others are saying on Amazon with this shortcut link 👉 AfterShokz Aeropex Sport Headphones
Reasons To Avoid:
- It doesn’t have noise-canceling. (having bone conduction allows you to hear your surroundings)
The awareness of your environment is one of the most crucial factors for safety while mountain biking. While you may think wearing earbuds distracts your focus, the AfterShokz Aeropex can give you the best of both worlds. Instead of blocking all the background noises, it directs vibrations to your cheekbones, so you will still hear the sounds coming from your surroundings.
This feature means that the earbuds will not plug your ears entirely. Still, it is incredibly secure and comfortable, preventing it from falling off due to bumps and obstacles while mountain biking.
The Aeropex stays secure while bouncing along single track trails. In fact I think my sunglasses help hold the headphones in place.
Additionally, the Aeropex can last for up to eight consecutive hours. Meaning you can enjoy music during your entire adventure. It is also water resistant, allowing you to wear it even when the rain suddenly pours and when sweating. (source)
When it comes to tuning out your surroundings Sony is the leader. The Sony 100XM4 will allow you to focus on two things, the trail and the tune. Listening to AC/DC while cranking up a hill is going to energize you just a bit more.
Reasons To Buy:
- It offers dynamic and immersive sound
- Can support two Bluetooth connections simultaneously
- Impressive 30 hours of battery life
If cancelling out your surroundings is what your wanting, while focusing in on the trial the Sony WH-1000XM4 Earbuds is for you. Check the current prices and amazing reviews on Amazon with this shortcut link 👉 Sony WH-1000XM4 Noise Canceling Earbuds
Reasons To Avoid:
- The USB-C port is not available for audio use
If you are looking for the best mountain biking earbuds with a stylish design, the Sony WH-1000XM4 is an impressive choice. It features a comfortable form fitting earbud cup that do not squeeze your ears. These earbuds are small which makes them extremely easy to stuff in your bag.
These earbuds by Sony have a noise cancellation feature that only blocks wind noise and lets ambient noise into the earpiece. As you mountain bike, you will still be aware of your environment. Even better, the product offers superb sound quality so that you will hear everything clearly – from music to voice calls.
Moreover, one of the most excellent features offered by the Sony WH-1000XM4 is its battery life, which lasts 30 hours. The battery also charges quickly, with 5 minutes of charging offering about 5 hours of use. (source)
For many years I wore a set of Jaybird earbuds. They were a rock solid earbud and extremely durable with great battery life. The best part was the sound was really good for the price. Being so small they were comfortable and easy to set down and lose. (which is what happened to them)
Reasons To Buy:
- Feels secure when worn
- It has a noise-cancellation feature
- Features SurroundSense so you can hear your surroundings
Interested in the Jaybird Vista 2? Check out the latest prices and reviews on Amazon with this shortcut link. 👉 Jaybird Vista 2 True Wireless Sport Bluetooth Earbuds
Reasons To Avoid:
- Can cause sore ears after wearing for hours
In-ear earbuds are also among the best mountain biking earbuds. They offer comfort as they do not cover your ears and do not have headbands that can fall off during rides. And when it comes to in-ear earbuds, the Jaybird Vista 2 is a fantastic option.
The Jaybird Vista 2 feels comfortable in the ears, but they do not fall off, no matter how bumpy your ride is. It has Active Noise Cancellation, which prevents wind and background noises from interrupting your music experience. But since noise-canceling is not ideal for mountain biking, Jaybird integrated these earbuds with SurroundSense. The earbuds will let you hear the sounds from your environment once you tap twice on the sensor.
Moreover, these earbuds have a battery life that lasts for 24 hours. For this reason, you do not have to worry about the earbuds’ battery going low in the middle of the trail. (source)
Reasons To Buy:
- Works well for music and calls
- Features Active Noise Cancelation
- It has an audio transparency mode
Interested in the AirPods? Check out the latest prices and reviews on Amazon with this shortcut link. 👉 Apple AirPods Pro
Reasons To Avoid:
- On the pricey side
The AirPods Pro is one of the best mountain biking earbuds a cyclist can get today. It features noise-canceling that prevents external noises from disturbing you. However, it also has an audio transparency mode that lets you hear your surroundings while mountain biking.
In addition, these in-ear earbuds are smaller than the majority of earbuds on the market. For this reason, you can ensure that they fit nicely in your ear while providing comfort throughout your adventure. The AirPods Pro also have silicone ear tips, which prevent sore ears even if you wear them for hours.
Moreover, these earbuds offer impressive sound quality, just as you can expect from Apple. They create powerful bass yet transparent sound, which results in an excellent music-listening experience. To add to a better music experience, the AirPods Pro can last for 6 hours. (source)
Jabra Elite 3 Wireless Noise Canceling Earbuds – Best for Comfort
Reasons To Buy:
- Features a long battery life
- Offers noise-cancelation feature
- Waterproof components with nano-coating
Interested in the Jabra Elite 3? Check out the latest prices and reviews on Amazon with this shortcut link. 👉 Jabra Elite 3 Wireless Noise Canceling Earbuds
Reasons To Avoid:
- The ear pads cause sweat buildup
Comfort is one of the things that build the best mountain biking earbuds. Regarding comfort, the Jabra Elite 3 Wireless Earbuds are next to nothing.
These earbuds have a noise-canceling feature, so you can entirely focus on mountain biking and listening to music. You can also use these earbuds for calls as they feature eight onboard mics, with 6 of these mics used for voice calls.
Even better, the Jabra Elite 3 does not cause sore ears, thanks to the thick and soft ear pads. The earbuds can pause and automatically play once you remove and put them back on your ears.
While these earbuds are not waterproof, they have a water-resistant nano-coating that protects the internal components from sweat and moisture. (source)
Mountain biking while wearing earbuds is a touchy topic to talk about these days. Some cyclists are against the idea, while others say it is acceptable to listen to music while mountain biking as long as you are careful. Here are some factors to consider before wearing earbuds during a ride.
Some states restrict bikers from wearing earbuds during rides, while others allow wearing an earbud only on one ear while on the road. The reason why such laws exist is that wearing earbuds. At the same time, mountain biking can distract you from your environment, leading to an accident.
That said, you need to ensure that the state where you plan to mountain bike allows you to wear earbuds while you cycle on the road leading to the trail.
Mountain biking trails come with different levels of difficulty. If you are mountain biking on a path that is relatively easy to take on, wearing your earbuds during the ride should be safe. However, suppose there are many sharp curves that you need to pass through. In that case, it is not ideal to wear earbuds as they could prevent you from hearing other approaching mountain bikers.
Are you mountain biking with other people?
True enough, many of the best mountain biking earbuds on the market do not block ambient noises. Still, listening to music while mountain biking can prevent you from hearing the people you are with
on the trail.
Leaving your earbuds at home is the best option if you are mountain biking with a group. This way, you can easily hear warnings in case obstacles are ahead. Not wearing earbuds will also prevent you from annoying your group as they will not need to repeat what they say so you can hear them.
If you still want to wear earbuds, the best option is to an in-ear one and not wear the other pair. (source)
Style and comfort are not the only things you need to consider when looking for mountain biking earbuds. While these two factors are a must-have, it is also vital to know what features earbuds can offer. This way, you can ensure that you will have the best music experience as you hammer through the terrain.
That said, allow me to share the features that the best mountain biking earbuds should offer.
When mountain biking, you are entering an extreme adventure that requires durability to everything you bring. Headsets are not an exception. For this reason, you need to check your earbuds’ build quality before buying them.
If you are buying over-ear earbuds, the headband should be durable, so it does not easily break, causing them to fall and become damaged. It is also ideal to go for a waterproof option. This way, you will not have to worry about your earbuds getting wet and damaged when it suddenly rains.
Sound quality is another aspect that you need to consider when buying the best mountain biking earbuds. The ambient noise on the trail can significantly affect how you listen to music. For this reason, your chosen earbuds should be able to deliver loud and crisp sounds.
However, we do not recommend wearing noise-canceling earbuds. The reason is that you need to be completely aware of your surroundings while mountain biking. Wearing earbuds that block noises entirely can do more harm than good, as they prevent you from being aware of your environment.
No one wants to mountain bike with their music suddenly stopping due to low battery. To prevent such a dilemma, buying earbuds with long battery life is essential. Fortunately, many of the best mountain biking earbuds offer a fast-charging capability. For instance, the Sony WH1000XM4 provides 5 hours of music listening in just 5 minutes of charging.
Some mountain bikers need to make calls while riding. Suppose you are one of these cyclists; you must look for earbuds with a built-in microphone. However, a regular microphone for calls will not do. Instead, you need one that can block noises from interrupting your voice so that the person you are talking to can hear clearly. (source)
After testing the earbuds reviewed, we found that the AfterShokz Aeropex is the best mountain biking earbuds. It offers impressive sound quality, comfort, and durability within a single product. In addition, the Sony WH-1000XM4 is another excellent option.
Both these earbuds do not completely block background noise, so you can hear your fellow mountain bikers while they are talking. They also provide value for money as they have significant battery life, allowing you to use them for an entire ride.
Looking for Some More Ways to Help Your Bike Last
- Regular maintenance will keep you pedaling for years. Read – DIY Mountain Bike Maintenance Schedule
- Everyone wants a new bike, find out when it’s time to buy with this article: Repair Old Bike or Buy New – Options
- DIY Mountain Bike Tune Up – A Complete guide to what to repair and how.
- AfterShokz Aeropex – Open-Ear Bluetooth Bone Conduction Sport Earbuds. Amazon. Accessed September 8, 2022. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RRQ59JR?tag=aviser-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1.
- Sony WH-1000XM4 Wireless Premium Noise Canceling Overhead Earbuds with Mic for Phone-Call and Alexa Voice Control. Accessed September 8, 2022. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0863TXGM3?tag=aviser-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1.
- Jaybird Vista 2 True Wireless Sport Bluetooth Earbuds With Charging Case. Amazon. Accessed September 8, 2022. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B3G74MY?tag=georiot-us-default-20&th=1&ascsubtag=cyclingnews-ph-7297988727106674000-20&geniuslink=true.
- Apple AirPods Pro Wireless Earbuds with MagSafe Charging Case. Amazon. Accessed September 8, 2022. https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MLWK3AM-A-AirPods-Pro-dp-B09JQMJHXY/dp/B09JQMJHXY/ref=dp_ob_title_def.
- Jabra Elite 3 Wireless Noise-Canceling Earbuds. Amazon. Accessed September 8, 2022. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RQ366VK/ref=asc_df_B07RQ366VK1662555600000?tag=georiot-us-default-20&ascsubtag=cyclingnews-ph-3038039672817010700-20&geniuslink=true.
- University of California, Berkeley. The New Wellness Encyclopedia. USA: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 1995. https://books.google.com.ph/books?id=SAf1p4dWsgcC&pg=PA258&dq=can+i+wear+earbuds+while+biking&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiR1uf83YT6AhWlmFYBHcljCe4Q6AF6BAgEEAI#v=onepage&q=can%20i%20wear%20earbuds%20while%20biking&f=false. Accessed September 8, 2022.
- Craig Forrest Mathews. Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Tablet PCs. USA: Que Publishing, 2004. https://books.google.com.ph/books?id=Z8yAcf03zwkC&pg=PA320&dq=features+of+a+good+earphones&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj2pfq33oT6AhWLyosBHVygCDAQ6AF6BAgHEAI#v=onepage&q=features%20of%20a%20good%20earphones&f=false. Accessed September 8, 2022.